• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Cover songs better than the original

Freq3

Expect Nothing and Appreciate Everything
Transdermal Celebration...Although I like the original by Ween, Devin Towsends version is a lot better :cool:

Ween

Devin Townsend

Johan

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
Original

Cover

Johan

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
M83 - Oblivion

Floor Jansen's cover

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Yes the song is about the Devil. So I do have to preface this with a true story ...
I like both versions, but I think Judas Priest gets a slight edge (sorry Mr. Green):
But Rob Halford wasn't the one having nightmares as a result of a very bad LSD trip. Peter did have them. Plus he had night terrors. Peter was later hospitalized for having schizophrenia. He spent years being institutionalized. It went back to that same bad batch of LSD he acquired in the Netherlands.

Last edited:

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
The Beatles and Traffic!

This one has been covered plenty of times:
Melissa Dobson creates the original:

The Grateful Dead expand upon it:

The National cover the cover:

... and - completing the circle - Melissa Dobson reclaims it with Robert Plant.

gmase

How about this Aerosmith cover before their late post-Draw-the-Line descent?

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
How about this Aerosmith cover before their late post-Draw-the-Line descent?

From that horrible Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (1978) movie? Remember that? Anyway, the only redeeming qualities of that film were Aerosmith's "Come Together" and Elton's John's "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds."

Yes, the same song he did four years earlier in 1974 live with John Lennon at Madison Square Garden.

John Lennon appeared at the concert because of a bet that he had with Elton. The bet was that "Whatever Gets You Through the Night" would not become a hit record. It did. Elton won the bet and John showed up to perform "Lucy" along with Paul's "I Saw Her Standing There" for the encore.

The audio versions here of "Lucy ..." and "I Saw Her Standing There" are accurate. However, if you watch these videos above, Elton John and his band interactions are proper. But when it comes to showing John Lennon himself ... most are photography stills of John Lennon. With John wearing sunglasses. I believe the "live interactions" of Mr. Lennon that are shown of him singing?? [at 0:59, at 1:07, at 1:30 and at the end 3:36] are actually coming from the Rolling Stones' Rock and Roll Circus Show in 1968. There John has his regular spectacles on.The same circular ones from the later Beatles' albums: Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, the White Album, Abbey Road and Let It Be.

Am I right, gmase? ;)

Possibly the Estate of John Lennon has blocked images of Mr. Lennon performing live in concert? Either that or someone screwed up in the editing of these.

Last edited:

gmase

From that horrible Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (1978) movie? Remember that? Anyway, the only redeeming qualities of that film were Aerosmith's "Come Together" and Elton's John's "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds."

Am I right, gmase? ;)
I can't disagree so you must be. The SPLHCB movie escaped me. At that time The Song Remains the Same and Woodstock were more familiar for me.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Says the guy that put Gosling on his avi... (n)
Really? I thought that was Steve Carell from The Office.

I can't disagree so you must be. The SPLHCB movie escaped me. At that time The Song Remains the Same and Woodstock were more familiar for me.
George Burns, Peter Frampton, Sandy Farina, the Bee Gees, Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, Donald Pleasence, Billy Preston, Earth Wind and Fire, and Steve Martin were in that. The characters in the film were based on characters in the Beatles songs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sgt._Pepper's_Lonely_Hearts_Club_Band_(film)

Truly terrible

Last edited: